you're reading...

Rick Riordan

The Last Olympian by Rick Riordan (Percy Jackson #5)

The Last Olympian is a well written ending to an excellent series, with the lastolympianpromise of more to come. The prophesized battle between the Olympic Gods and the Titans starts in the first chapter, and proceeds with all haste through all 381 pages. Though marketed as “Young Adult” fare, this series is entertaining and enjoyable to read no matter your age.

The action starts immediately, with Percy and another half-blood (one parent mortal, the other an Olympic God) setting off to blow up the cruise ship commandeered by the Titan Kronos, who has possessed the body of Luke, half-blood son of Hermes. Percy is still trying, as all teenage boys do, to figure out girls, namely Rachael Dare, a mortal who can see things that mortals aren’t supposed to see, and Annabeth, half-blood daughter of Athena. The cruise ship is blown up, but the other half-blood is killed, and Percy is saved by allies of his father Poseidon. Poseidon is fighting the Titan Oceanus (underwater, of course) but tells Percy it is time for him to hear the prophecy.Percy returns to Camp Half-Blood, when Chiron and Annabeth reveal the whole of the Great Prophecy from the Oracle which Percy has only heard pieces of:

A half-blood of the eldest gods
Shall reach sixteen against all odds
And see the world in endless sleep
The hero’s soul, cursed blade shall reap

Naturally Percy assumes this is referring to himself, as his sixteenth birthday is only a few days away.

The Titan’s have unleashed the Titan named Typhon, from under Mt. St. Helens, and he spreads destruction walking across the U.S. on his way to NYC (in case you have forgotten, Mount Olympus is on the 600th floor of the Empire State Building). Zeus orders the gods out of Olympus to fight Typhon, leaving Hestia, Goddess of the Hearth as the Last Olympian guarding Olympus.

Nico, half-blood son of Hades, convinces Percy to make a desperate gamble (no spoiler here), and Hades reveals that he is going to stay in the Underworld waiting to see who wins the battle. Thus the Olympic Gods are divided with Zeus fighting Typhon, Poseidon fighting Oceanus and Hades sitting it out…and Kronos/Luke and his army advance on Olympus.

The rest of the story won’t be revealed here, but it revolves around Percy and team trying to find a way to fight the onslaught from the Titan Kronos and his assembled army, plus figuring out how the Prophecy plays out. Most of the characters from the previous novels make a return appearance, and, as always, Mr. Riordan manages to layout the secrets and revelations right in line with the story.

The difference between this series and other well known “young adult” series such as Harry Potter and Twilight is the upbeat and enjoyable tone. Even though there is death and destruction in the Percy Jackson series the kids act like kids (except for a few Olympian powers!) and have kid problems and a kid’s upbeat perspective.

This is a series I would highly recommend (and have) to anybody, and I look forward to more stories from this world by Mr. Riordan.

Discussion

20 Responses to “The Last Olympian by Rick Riordan (Percy Jackson #5)”

1. Nice review. I had just started the first book in this series, but put it down when I got my hands on Fall of Thanes. I look forward to resuming it again soon, along with the rest of the series.

Posted by Jeff C | May 8, 2009, 11:51 am
  2. the series is AMAZING!

Posted by walo | May 12, 2009, 1:56 pm
  3. i honestly have this series ranked ahead of Twilight and Harry Potter right now… i really loved those series, but this series right here is amazing… how many stories about Greek Gods and half-bloods are there that actually are this cool? This is my favorite subject, Mythology, and that is what really caught my eye when i started reading it. I’m sad to see my favorite characters go, but Riordan has said that this world will be seen again and i look forward to reading more.

Posted by Bobby C | May 14, 2009, 2:00 am
  4. LOVE THE SERIES! LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!!! Can somebody please tell me the prophecy that Rachel gives at the end of the Last Olympian? I am dying to know for some reason.

Posted by Dani | June 17, 2009, 7:40 pm
  5. sure the prophecy that rachel gives is……….

“Seven half-bloods shall answer the call.
    To storm or fire, the world must fall.
    An oath to keep with a final breath,
    And foes bear arms to the Doors of Death”

and thats about it hope that helped

Posted by Annabeth | July 15, 2009, 3:09 pm
  6. Favourite books ever

Posted by Anonymous | October 12, 2009, 11:14 am
  7. is there gonna be a 6th book

Posted by Anonymous | October 22, 2009, 5:56 pm
  8. OMG if he does not include percy and annabeth in the next book or series i will scream :0 i LOVE the first series i have read them twice and reading them again a own the demi-god filies and the ultimate guide and working on buying the whole box set!!!!!! I can not believe that Annabeth has BROWN hair in the movie she suposed to have BLONDE HAIR NOT!!!!! BROWN.
    I am also upset that he “clicks ” riptide in the movie. He uncaps!! it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by athena | January 21, 2010, 9:11 am
  9. I think Logan Lerman (excuse me if ispelt his name wrong) is perfect to play Percy in the series. I never imagined grover being african american, i think it is a good idea, but how will his hair cover his horns???I hate that the girl that plays Annabeth has drown hair.In the legend of the dragon percy says ” annabeth stood there in full greek battle armor , with her BLONDE HAIR in a ponytail . I didn’t think anyone could look cute in armor but she pulled it off”. Like i said before BLONDE HAIR . WHY would Rick let them do this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by athena | January 21, 2010, 9:19 am
  10. i agree with athena why would Rick let them do this?! i loved and annabeth she was my favorite character!!!! :(

Posted by aphrodite | February 3, 2010, 11:44 pm
  11. the book series is so good i love it and i read them all like a millon times

Posted by posiden | February 19, 2010, 9:29 pm
  12. I HIGHLY recommend The Percy Jackson series! It is filled with adventure, fun, and some ancient monsters!

Posted by Kamryn | March 3, 2010, 6:11 pm
  13. Fav series eva!!! highley recomended i just finished the last book 4 the 2nd time an am gonna rereaded again and again and again!!! the #1 thing that i asked my mom to get me 4 the holidays was the boxed set!! I love greek mythology and always will!!

I <3 PERCY JACKSON AND THE OLYPIANS!!!

Posted by OMG I luv Percy Jackson and the Olympians!!! | March 29, 2010, 7:37 am
  14. I love your books!!!!!!!!they are awesome

Posted by Mia | April 17, 2010, 12:54 pm
  15. I so agree…the books are AMAZING and the movies great but really Annabeth needed to be BLONDE. How on earth did they get brunette out of BLONDE????

Posted by Lucy | June 18, 2010, 10:22 pm
  16. I love this series and rick needs to write another book bout percy and annabeth i really want to know who the new great prophecy is about??

Posted by Zoe Jane | September 18, 2010, 9:55 am