An IKE cup of coffee
I definitely enjoy a morning cup of joe, but still without power going into the 5th day after Hurricane Ike, I think I may have taken more steps than normal.
– I filled the coffee maker with water from one of the three bathtubs we filled up on Friday night;
– I washed yesterdays coffee grounds off the filter with last night dish washing water (hey it was clean);
– One of our many splendid neighbors gave us some excellent ground coffee so I did not have to search for our grinder in my pre-caffeinated stupor;
– Ready at last for the moment of truth, I pushed the coffee maker power switch and nothing happened;
– it was then that I realized that the sound of silence was my generator not running! I had miscalculated how much gas it needed overnight;
– I stumbled outside, poured in 5 gallons of bartered gasoline, unplugged my spaghetti power cords, jerked the pull cord and started that puppy up;
– Replugged, went to the end of the driveway and retrieved my newspaper for a sense of normalcy;
– Then I plugged in the coffee maker and listened to it perk.
Damn good cup of coffee, if I do say so myself!
Glad you can handle some of the basics !
Glad everyone is OK. When Hugo hit PR, we were more that 30 days w/o water and electricity… so I know what you mean…