Half-marathon training: Hanson’s week 17
With all these miles, I’ve been really wearing down my shoes, even though I’ve been alternating them. I got a new pair on Newton’s (Sir Isaacs) on Wednesday, which should give me enough days to break them in before race day.
This week the strength run is a 4 x 1 mile on Tuesday, tempo run on Thursday is 5 miles. As we go into the taper, there is no Long Run on Sunday. Total target mileage 40 miles.
The previous week’s log is here.
Week 17 schedule:
- Monday: Easy 5 mi – EASY run 5 mile, 46:44 9:21 pace. Ran around a neighborhood in San Antonio near the hotel. More hills than normal, and there will be some in the San Antonio Rock n Roll Half course. But the course looks like there is only one big hill.
- Tuesday: Strength 4 x 1 miles with 1.5 mile warm up and cool down – OFF DAY. Rearranged the schedule for a few reasons: Thanksgiving travel, plus the place I was staying in San Antonio didn’t have very flat roads to run sprints on.
- Wednesday: off day. STRENGTH RUN 4 x 1 mile 5.5 mi in 46:26, 8:27 pace. EASY RUN warm up 1.5 mi in 14:15, 9:30 pace; EASY RUN 1.5 mi in 14:07, 9:21 pace to cool down. My paces this week so far have been a lot faster than they should be according to the plan. Part of that is the cooler weather, part is that is that the pace felt right. It was the last Strength run of this program, so I did put a bit more into it.
- Thursday: Tempo Run 5 mi (with 1.5 easy warm up and cool down runs) – EASY RUN 5 miles 45:35, 9:07 pace. Did Friday’s easy run today so that I wasn’t doing two SoS runs in a row. My Newton’s were getting a bit low in the tread so a new set of Sir Isaac’s came in the mail today. Ten days to break them in should be more than enough, especially since they are the same type of shoes I have been running in.
- Friday: easy 5 mi – EASY RUN to warm up 1.45 mi in 13:21, 9:08 pace TEMPO RUN 5 mi in 41:35, 8:19 pace, EASY RUN to cool down, 1.55 mi in 15:14, 9:51 paceEASY RUN 6 miles in the RAIN! in 58:57, 9:50 pace. Focusing on negative splits, which is part of my race plan
- Saturday: easy 6 mi – EASY RUN 6 miles 56:14 at 9:22 pace. The warmth and humidity has returned. According to the ten day forecast, this is what it will be will like on race day in San Antonio.
- Sunday: easy 8 mi – EASY RUN 8 mi in 1:18:32, 9:49 pace. Warm and humid. 190 miles for the month of November, which I’m sure is a new personal record (month calendar below).
Plan total: EASY (5+3+3+5+6+8) = 30 miles + TEMPO 5 + 4 x 1 miles = 40 miles
Actual total: EASY (5+3+3+5+68) = 30 miles and TEMPO 5 miles + 4 x 1 mile (5.5 miles) = 51.25 miles
Next week, week number 18, is the TAPER and RACE DAY!!!!