Half-marathon training: Hanson’s week 14
I’m tired. I’ve reached the point that is mentioned in the Hanson’s guide where the mileage just makes you tired.
This week the strength run is a lovely 2 x 3 mile on Tuesday, tempo run on Thursday is 6 miles. It also has a 12 mile Long Run on Sunday. Total target mileage 47 miles.
Week 14 schedule:
- Monday: Easy 5 mi – no run. Had jury duty and performed my civic duty. Rode the bus downtown, sat in a room (at least there was WiFi), got called into court, was interviewed and dismissed.
- Tuesday: Strength 2 x 3 miles with 1.5 mile warm up and cool down – BLOODY HELL. I was so tired this morning I ran the wrong run. TEMPO RUN 6 mi in 50:58, 8:30 pace. EASY RUN warm up 1.7 mi in 16:32, 9:44 pace; EASY RUN cool down 1.3 mi, 12:18, 9:25 pace. Not sure if it was all of the sitting yesterday, or the fact that I did not run yesterday, but I was tired. And I’m not sure if I’d have done any better if I would have run the correct run, which was the 2 x 3 miles (which I’ll now push to Thursday). I started off feeling good, but after the first mile my hamstrings were tired, especially the right one.
- Wednesday: off day. And I needed this one. Already up to 173 miles for the month of October and there are still days left in the month. This is by far the most I’ve ever run in one month. My knees and legs are a bit sore, but not painfully so. The normal Oct/Nov allergies are around, but so far they’ve just given me a bit of the sniffles, nothing that is impacting my running.
- Thursday: Tempo Run 6 mi (with 1.5 easy warm up and cool down runs) – EASY RUN to warm up 1.0 mi in 10:13, 10:13 pace STRENGTH RUN 2 x 3 mi in 55:51, 8:36 pace, no cool down. Did the Strength run today since I spaced on Tuesday’s run. Was heading for the airport so my cool down consisted of jogging through TSA.
- Friday: easy 5 mi – EASY RUN 6.1 mi in 1:05:18, 9:41 pace. Tacked on another mile since I missed Monday’s run.
- Saturday: easy 6 mi – EASY RUN 7.1 miles 46:54 at 9:22 pace. Tacked on yet another mile.
- Sunday: LONG 12 mi – LONG RUN 13 mi in 2:00:01, 9:14 pace. Decided to do the entire race distance. Granted it was at long run pace, but it felt good to knock it out. I felt like I could have run further if needed. I need to check with the author – in the words around the long runs, it talks about the fact that they are every other weekend…but in the schedule I have, it is long run pace every weekend. Splits for this run on in the image to the right…pretty consistent long run pace, but again, not certain what the pace is…the lovely iPhone kept asking me to rotate is so that it could adjust its accuracy. If this is accurate, I need to kick 10+ minutes off that time to make my sub-1:50 goal. At this point, it looks quite achievable.
Plan total: EASY (5+3+3+5+6+12) = 33 miles + TEMPO 5 + 2 x 3 miles = 47 miles
Actual total: EASY (0+3+1.1+6.1+7.1+13) = 30.3 miles and TEMPO 6 miles + 2 x 3 mile (6.5 miles) = 42.8 miles
Next week, week number 15, has a 3 x 2 mile Strength run (going back down the ladder), stays at six miles on the Tempo and the Long run goes back to 10 miles. Total is still 47 because the easy runs are all lengthened. Two more hard weeks and then we get to TAPER!!!!