Half-marathon training: Hanson’s week 12
This week theÂ speedÂ runs change to strength runs, this first one is 6 x 1 mile on Tuesday, tempo run on Thursday goes up to 5 miles. It also has a 10 mile Long Run on Sunday. Total target mileage 44.5 miles.
Week 12 schedule:
- Monday: Easy 5 mi -Â EASY RUN 5 miÂ in 45:27, 9:05 pace.Â Got out before the sunrise, left achilles was sore before I started, but felt good running and after. Obviously need to slow down, or re-evaluate my target pace.
- Tuesday: Strength 4 x 1.5 mile with 1.5 mile warm up and cool downÂ -Â STRENGTHÂ RUN 7.5 miÂ in 1:04:45, 8:38 pace. EASY RUN warm up 1.5 mi in 14:37, 9:36 pace; NOÂ cool down 0.75 mi, 7:27, 9:58 pace. According to the pace chart, I should be targeting 8:13-8:25 pace in these runs.
- InÂ Dallas for this one. The trail that runs along the Trinity Rive tributary (see map photo) is awesome.
- Really felt good after the first two intervals, third one was quick, fourth one was hard.
- Had to hurry to a meeting, so didn’t do the full cool down.
- Wednesday: off day
- Thursday: Tempo Run 5 mi (with 1.5 easy warm up and cool down runs) – EASY RUN to warm up 1.66 mi in 16:04, 9:40 pace Â TEMPOÂ RUN 5 miÂ in 41:32, 8:18 pace, EASY RUN to cool down, 1.36 mi in 13:16, 9:46 pace.Â Pace felt good (splits for this 5 mile run are to the right, pretty consistent), felt like I actually could have gone faster, but MUST STAY ON PACE.
- Friday:Â easy 5 mi -Â EASY RUN 5.65 miÂ in54:29, 9:39 pace.Â Split the Friday/Saturday 11 miles easy runs into strange distances…don’t ask me why, it just felt right.
- Saturday: easy 6 mi – EASYÂ RUN 5.35 miles 49:01Â at 9:10 pace. Really worried about pacing, especially when I run in the neighborhood at nothing more than a trot and the ole “Smart”phone says I’m doing my LONG RUN pace.
- Sunday: LONG 12 mi -Â LONGÂ RUN 12 miÂ in 1:51:00,Â 9:15 pace.Â Worked most of yesterday building a tree bench and removing brush, so my hamstrings really felt this one. I still had some juice at the end. Even though this was on pace with what the training entry says, it still felt slow…too slow, even…since it is the barometer distance, and, at that pace, I wouldn’t make my sub 1:40 goal. Gotta trust the system. Six weeks to go.
Plan total: EASY (5+3+3+6+5+12) = 33 miles + TEMPO 5 + 6 x 1 mile Â = Â 44.5 miles
Actual total: EASY (5+2.25+3.25+6+5+12) = 32.95 miles and TEMPO 5 miles + 6 x 1 mileÂ (6 miles) = Â 43.95 miles
Included running inÂ Dallas and Houston.
Next week, week lucky number 13, has a 3 x 2 mile Strength run Â and the LongÂ run goes back to 10 miles.