Half-marathon training: Hanson’s week 15
This is the “IS THE TAPER WEEK SOON?” and “I HATE TREADMILLS” post all rolled into one.
This week the strength run is a 3 x 2 mile on Tuesday, tempo run on Thursday is 6 miles. It also has a 10 mile Long Run on Sunday. Total target mileage 47 miles.
Week 15 schedule:
- Monday: Easy 7 mi – EASY run 7.25 mile, 1:09:22, 9:33 pace. Who put that 7 mile run the day after I wisely turned a 12 mile long run into a 13 mile long run? I guess because of the cold weather, I saw this lovely snake on the road, going back and forth…luckily I was faster than him. Looks like it was indeed a Coral Snake (Red touches Yellow, kill a fellow).
- Tuesday: Strength 3 x 2 miles with 1.5 mile warm up and cool down – STRENGTH RUN 7 mi in 1:01:56, 8:51 pace. EASY RUN warm up 1.7 mi in 17:11, 10:23 pace; walk to cool down. Had some tightness and soreness at the bottom of my calf on the left leg. It went away during the second 2 miler, but came back at the end. I tried to run it off in the cool down, but walking felt like it was stretching it out. At least we are on the downward slope of the Strength ladder.
- Wednesday: off day. Well timed, well scheduled. After running 13 – 7 – 3×2, a rest day was needed. The biggest issue for the rest of the week will be the cold weather that has blown in, and the fact that I’m traveling to Atlanta..
- Thursday: Tempo Run 6 mi (with 1.5 easy warm up and cool down runs) – TREADMILL SIGHTING! EASY TREADMILL RUN to warm up 1.5 mi in 15:08, 10:05 pace TEMPO RUN 5.5 mi in 47:30, 8:38 pace, no cool down. Treadmills bored the crap outta me. But it was cold and windy out, and I did not bring the proper gear to the hotel. So I used Siri to voice text my wife to ease the boredom until she decided that was fun. Didn’t do the cool down. Then later, as I’m walking to meet my nephew for a late dinner, I see this kid running outside in 36 degree weather with a wind chill below freezing…and he is in shorts and a short sleeve shirt!
- Friday: easy 6 mi – NO RUN. No time. Early work day, long travel day, and I couldn’t take the treadmill again.
- Saturday: easy 5 mi – EASY RUN 7.5 miles 1:05:20 at 8:41 pace. Tacked on a bit more since I didn’t run Friday. It was quite cold, so the pace was a bit quicker that it should have been.
- Sunday: LONG 10 mi – LONG RUN 11 mi in 1:36:24, 8:46 pace. Cool day, steady pace (see splits chart), a bit faster than Long Run pace, but felt easy. Need to be 10-15 seconds faster on the pace to best 1:50 half, but so far, so good.
Plan total: EASY (7+3+3+6+5+10) = 34 miles + TEMPO 5 + 3 x 2 miles = 47 miles
Actual total: EASY (7.25+1.7+1.5+0+7.5+11) = 30.3 miles and TEMPO 5.5 miles + 3 x 2 mile (7 miles) = 41.5 miles
Next week, week number 16, has a 4 x 1.5 mile Strength run (going back down the ladder), stays at six miles on the Tempo and the Long run goes back to 12 miles. Total is still 48 because the easy runs are all lengthened. One more hard week and then we get to TAPER!!!!
And yes, since it is Packer’s game day, below is what I wore on my long run. If it is cold enough, that will be the SA Half dress code.