Half-marathon training: Hanson’s week 9
As of Tuesday of this week (September 30th) I will have run 150 miles this month. Pretty incredible given my past knee et al history. June was 88, July and August were right at 100 miles.
This week the speed run is 5×1000 on Tuesday (which I won’t screw up like last week), tempo run on Thursday 4 miles. It also has an 10 miler on Sunday. Total target mileage 40 miles.
The previous week’s log is here.
Week 9 schedule:
- Monday:easy 5 mi – EASY RUN 5mi in 48:17, 9:40 pace. Humidity has briefly returned to Houston.
- Tuesday: speed 5 x 1000 with 1.5 mile warm up and cool down – SPEED RUN 4.32 mi in 37:34, 8:41 pace. EASY RUN warm up 1.7 mi in 17:03, 9:58 pace; EASY RUN cool down 1.5 mi, 15:28, 10:20 pace. First Speed run, 12×400, I basically did 2 minutes at a 7:30 pace, with two minutes off. Then for the 8×600 run, I did 3 minute intervals. For this one, I should do 5 minutes at 7:30 pace with 3-4 minutes job intervals.
- Very tired legs, this is the most miles in a string a six runs in a while
- Kept a pretty good pace on the first three
- Had some issues with turning off the timer at the end of this and the cool down run…too much sweat on the iPhone cover and it wasn’t letting me tap. I believe this is called a “1st world problem?”
- Wednesday: off day
- Thursday: Tempo Run 4 mi (with 1.5 easy warm up and cool down runs) – EASY RUN to warm up 1.7 mi in 16:47, 9:49 pace TEMPO RUN 4 mi in 33:41, 8:26 pace, EASY RUN to cool down, 1.5 mi in 14:42, 9:43 pace. In Dallas, in the last day before a cool from came through. Kept a decent pace, especially felt good on the last two miles. I’m using a metronome program on my iPhone to keep my pace, setting it a 180 for these Tempo Runs.
- Friday: easy 6 mi – EASY RUN 6.2 mi in 55:45, 8:59 pace. Really nice cool front, low humidity, fell into a good pace and just kept it…it felt effortless. I probably should have backed off to the 9:30 pace the easy runs are targeted at….but just enjoyed it.
- Saturday: easy 5 mi – EASY RUN 5 mi in 48:10, 9:37 pace. Kept the pace down since I have the 10 miler coming tomorrow.
- Sunday: easy 10 mi – EASY RUN 10.5 mi in 1:40:25, 9:34 pace. Still cool weather. I went past the paved trail, and it was a nice dirt track that went from Cypresswood over to Grant…but there were a ton of trail bikers and horse riders. The distance felt pretty doable, started to go 11 but ran out of track.
Plan total: EASY (6+3+3+5+6+10) = 33 miles + TEMPO 4 + 6 x 800 (3 miles+rest intervals) = 40 miles
Actual total: EASY (4.5+3+2.7+5+6+10.5) = 31.7 miles and TEMPO 3.5 miles + SPEED 6×800 (6.3 miles) = 41.5 miles
I was entertained by Dan Carlin’s Hardcore History, Wrath of the Khans, which I finished. Plus set up and listened to Jack White on iTunes Radio.
Next week, week ten, has a 4×1200 in the Speed Ladder and the long run goes to 12 miles.