Half-marathon training: Hanson’s week 8
The previous week’s log is here.
This week the speed run is 6×800 on Tuesday, tempo run on Thursday goes up to 4 miles. It also has an 10 miler on Sunday. Total target mileage 40 miles.
Week 8 schedule:
- Monday:easy 6 mi – EASY RUN 4.5mi in 43:18, 9:36 pace.Painters arrived and I had to abort. Good thing, because after yesterday’s ten miler I was quite wasted.
- Tuesday: speed 6 x 800 with 1.5 mile warm up and cool down – SPEED RUN 6.31 mi in 55:21, 8:46 pace. EASY RUN warm up 1.8 mi in 17:59, 10:06 pace; EASY RUN cool down 1.2 mi, 11:36, 10:03 pace. First Speed run, 12×400, I basically did 2 minutes at a 7:30 pace, with two minutes off. Then for the 8×600 run, I did 3 minute intervals. So I should have done 4 minutes intervals for the 800s. Emphasis on SHOULD HAVE. For some reason, I got out there and convinced my self that I needed to do six minute intervals with four minute rests. Not sure how Mr. Math Major here hoarked that one, but there you go, it is in the books.
- Wednesday: off day
- Thursday: Tempo Run 4 mi (with 1.5 easy warm up and cool down runs) – EASY RUN to warm up 1.5 mi in 16:10, 10:42 pace (forgot to turn off tracking when I stopped to unlock the gate for the lawn guys; I was running around the neighborhood waiting for them). TEMPO RUN 3.6 mi in 30:33, 8:30 pace, EASY RUN to cool down, 1.1 mi in 11:32, 10:14 pace. Didn’t go the whole four miles, as my legs were still quite jelly from over-running on the 6 x 800 which I turned into a 6 x 1200 using great mathematical wizardry. But, the Tempo Run pace was quite obtainable, so the work is definitely paying off.
- Friday: easy 5 mi – EASY RUN 5 mi in 48:18, 9:39 pace. Had to wait until lunch time due to painters at the house, but it was still only 80 degrees; fall have finally come to H-town. Running with a bit of a headcold, but feel better after the run.
- Saturday: easy 6 mi – EASY RUN 6 mi in 57:54, 9:38 pace. Went right at the trail instead of normally going left, and stayed on that side of the gully until Lakewood forest. I still think for the first segment down Pitcairn Rd that the tracking is messed up, as it always tracks the pace as a lot slower than the rest. But the distance was good, putting a map here so I’ll remember it.
- Sunday: easy 10 mi – EASY RUN 10 mi in 1:35:50, 9:35 pace. A bit tougher, mainly because of tired legs with the increase in mileage this week. But it will feel better since it will be followed by Packer’s game.
Plan total: EASY (6+3+3+5+6+10) = 33 miles + TEMPO 4 + 6 x 800 (3 miles+rest intervals) = 40 miles
Actual total: EASY (4.5+3+2.7+5+6+10) = 31.2 miles and TEMPO 3.5 miles + SPEED 6×800 (6.3 miles) = 41 miles
I was entertained by Dan Carlin’s Hardcore History, Wrath of the Khans, about Ghengis Khan. Plus the Today in iOS podcast, plus a lot of Joe Sample, which I always listen to, but with the big guy’s passing I’ve been listening to more. Plus some new Beatles post breakup.
Next week, week nine, is almost exactly the same except the Speed Ladder goes to 5×1000 and the Tempo Run goes to 4 miles, target total is 40 miles.